Elysian Field 

            by Waleed Bhatti 

    I knew my brother was dead when he called me just before dawn and said, “Paradise is dull, how’s Mom doing?”
    I’d been awake all night expecting a call. Something about how the dark hung midway tonight, the lit-up streets never letting it touch the ground. Nothing especially different than other nights. But I’d had a feeling this time.
    “She’s doing as well as she can,” I said. “Terrible, honestly.”
    “They weren’t able to see me off.”
    My parents had been on their way to my place from the hospital when my mother got the call that Sal’s condition had suddenly gotten worse, and by the time they re-routed and sped back, their son who’d been alive an hour prior was no longer.
    “Is there anything they can do for you?” I asked him. “Anything I can?”
    The noise on the other end of the line made me feel ill, like it was the noise of memory, of home and nowhere and all things at once.
    “I’m good,” Sal said. “Anyway, calling home isn’t really a thing here. I should probably go.”
    “You can’t stay on for a little while longer? Until Mom and Dad are here?”
    “I don’t think so,” Sal said. His voice was like wet sand grains rubbing on ashy elbows.
    “I get it,” I said. “Thanks for letting me know.”
    “You’ll be ok,” he said and hung up.
    I stayed silent and stared at a dark spot in my room until I fell asleep. 
    The funeral was a small event, a lot of family, some friends. My father held my mother’s hand as one group then another came to them, crying, offering words of advice, praying. Sal’s manager from two jobs ago, the organic coffee shop, came and gave my parents a basket arrangement of white lilies, orchids, alstroemeria, and carnations with a little silver cross in it. I later heard his wife yelling at him quietly at the tea table, telling him to look around. My Italian aunt, the often-pale woman who’d married my mother’s younger brother seven years ago and treated me and Sal like the sons she couldn’t have, wore all black and moved like a wraith among the others. This was her first Muslim funeral, and no one had told her black wasn’t a requirement. Most of the others were dressed in colors commonly worn to dinner parties. A gathering of people was all this was. To celebrate, to mourn.
    Evening fell, the guests left the funeral home slowly and then all at once. I drove my parents home and spent the night. It was only on my childhood bed, under the fluorescent lights of the nearby highway seeping through my window, that I thought about Sal for a moment. I hadn’t looked at his face during the viewing and I never would again. I ground my teeth, and when I woke, my entire jaw felt like it’d been pounded into cement.
    We buried him the next morning. The November chill worked its way gently in, and before long, had sunk into my bones. There was a large pile of dirt by the grave; next to it the excavator. The imam arrived at ten a.m. My father stood beside me as a group of us lowered the oakwood casket into the freshly carved out hole. It smelled rich, soil and earthworms, swarming with life. A shovel stood at each side of the grave, planted headfirst into the dirt. I pulled one out and was surprised at the weight, heavier than I thought. My mother was crying. Not the loud gasping sounds of my aunt, but the silent flow of tears that would, someday thirty years from now, still catch her unaware. My father’s hands trembled, and I hated it. I felt a unique despair seeing him break apart. The one person that shouldn’t. I positioned myself and, using the shovel, threw some dirt down onto Sal’s casket. I did this two more times before my father reached for the shovel. After he and my mother threw in their share, the rest of the family grabbed the other shovels and began the same. After everyone had done this once or twice, we made way for the excavator, which gathered the remaining dirt back into its original place. We then patted the earth down to a rounder, more pleasing shape.
    The imam said a few things about God’s mercy giving the grieving family the strength to pull through, to appreciate every second we were allowed to live, how eventually we all made our way back to the creator. He then led a silent prayer. I stood still, hands palmed in front of me. No prayers came to mind. The silence of the cemetery made me uneasy.
    I was back at work the next day, interning at a small publishing company. The only job I’d been able to get after graduating last year, I was just happy I got paid enough to afford my rent, internet, phone bill, and groceries, having a hundred dollars or so left over. I’d never have gotten the apartment without my father co-signing, there was no denying that. That I could also visit my parents to eat a real meal anytime allowed me to live quasi-independently. This week I was reading slush. I let myself get lost for a few minutes in pages of work that I knew by the second paragraph wouldn’t find a home here.
    I managed to keep mourners away from my place for a week or so. Pre-emptive tear stains covering their cheeks, ready to tell me all the good things they’d heard about Sal from a second cousin twice removed. It must be so upsetting, they’d say. It is, I’d say, taking their gifts and closing the door. The visits stopped. My parents came over and asked me to see a grief counselor, and I made them their favorite orange pekoe tea and then asked them to leave. I stopped sleeping.

    I first saw the valley after I’d gone a week without sleep. I opened the sliding door out into my balcony to water the plants my mother had bought me during her last visit; something to “bring a bit of cheer to this gray and white gloomyhouse.” I had some mint, cilantro, and basil, as well as a rapidly failing tomato plant. I forgot to water them often, so I was at most expecting to find them wilted or rotting. Instead, I opened the door and saw nothing before me but a deeply green abyss. If I took another step, I would fall. I felt my guts reorganize and demand passage up my throat. The more I looked at that endless green, the more it grew, consuming me. I left the balcony door open and went to my room to lie down, smoke some weed, listen to music, put on a movie, assault my senses until the overload left me husk and hollow.
    The next morning, right before sunrise, I went back to the balcony and saw the abyss still there. I dropped an old, dried-out pen into the green to see what would happen. It simply kept falling until it was too far down for my eyes to register its shape. I sat by the balcony, dangling my feet over the edge. There was a pleasant breeze coming from within the green, it reminded me of a cool summer day interrupting a succession of scorchers. A reprieve of sorts. I spent hours sitting there. Eventually, I realized the abyss was more than just a green void. Endless I thought it must be, but within that expanse I noticed there were shapes and movements, gradients of color shifting at the speed of moving clouds. I realized that there was matter and mass, a world without boundary. The mint greens and ocean blues, plum maroons, rich mustards and earthy browns, the whole body of space reminded me of the oncoming autumn. A valley of life in transition.
    From then on I spent most of my time looking out at the valley from the balcony, hanging my legs out but keeping my weight securely inside. There were times when I ate while looking out at it. A week after it appeared, I began to hear the humming. It was a pleasant tune, and one I recognized, but I couldn’t exactly place from where. It sounded like a voice compressed into liquid glass, expanding with each note, molding itself into a monolith that would encompass me. Though it was better than the city ambience, I still couldn’t sleep. I once put an arm out into the air of the valley and felt a rhythmic motion, like waves falling against me, pulling me in little by little with each retreat. I wanted so much to fall in.
    At a certain point I knew it was Sal down there. I knew the humming was him, his way of calling me, asking me to join him. I wanted to so much, I wanted to more than anything. 
    My parents visited again without warning. They lived a few hours out and didn’t often make the trip to the city unless I invited them.
    “We haven’t heard from you in so long,” my mother said when I opened the door.
    “We’ve left dozens of messages,” my father said. He hugged me tight; happy I was still real, I thought.
    I hadn’t seen them since their last visit a little over two weeks ago. My mother had been shaking so much then. She wasn’t shaking as much now.
    “I’ll make us some sandwiches and tea,” I said, letting them in. 
    I prepared the food, surprised that I still had any, unsure of where it had come from. They took over the apartment as was their habit. When I heard my father mention how stuffy it was in the apartment, heard the balcony door slide open, I ran to the living room, screaming at him to come back in, knowing he’d fall into the valley. He came back inside, looking at me the way he’d looked at Sal’s body in the hospital.
    “What’s wrong,” he said.
    “Where did you go?” I asked him.
    “I just stepped outside to breathe,” he said. “Your little garden here is beyond saving.”
    “I think Sal would have liked that you’re trying to raise plants,” my mother said.
    I closed the balcony door, the valley in full view. I gave my parents their sandwiches and tea. I stayed with them until evening and, when they left, refused to go down to the lobby with them. I couldn’t leave the valley. But I also couldn’t stop them from visiting again and again. Each time I would serve them tea and they would speak more and more about Sal’s death. About how they’d always be there to talk to me, that they wanted to talk to me, needed to talk to me. I simply told them not to go out into the balcony but they did, again and again they went out and returned. They’d try to joke about the state of my garden and mention how the park across the street looked lovely this time of year, the autumn colors in full bloom.
    I realized the valley was mine after a month of no sleep. I’d crawl over to the living room at night, the balcony permanently open now, and let my head droop over the edge, facing down into lifeless fields of green. I lay still and let myself think about Sal. The valley hummed its usual tune. I felt stinging in my sleepless eyes. I knew Sal was there, unreachable Sal, forever deified Sal, my little brother Sal. I held my hands against my ears. The humming crashed over me and I was afraid to breathe, afraid to fall asleep.
    Eventually my parents came once again.
    “We’re staying here until you’re ready to talk,” they said in unison.
    I tried to argue, I really did, but in the end they dropped their two suitcases in my living room and sat down on the couch. I thought, maybe if I’d slept, I’d laugh at how they looked like a pair of obstinate children, refusing to take no for an answer. I gave them the bed for the night and said I’d sleep on the couch. Around midnight, the ethereal darkness of the valley felt very much alive, a thing of flesh so desperately trying to fill itself. It wanted me so violently it was coating the walls of the whole apartment in an emerald glow. I got out of bed and went to the balcony. Sal was humming his song. The valley swallowed the sky. I stood in the center of it, I stood and waited for it to pull me down. That’s when I noticed my father standing by the sliding door, watching me.
    I didn’t want him to come outside, I didn’t want him to see my dead garden and the park across the street or the beautiful autumn colors. I didn’t want him to see I was losing my place in the world. Don’t come, please don’t come. I couldn’t open my mouth. He walked out into the balcony.
    “I never realized you had a valley here,” he said quietly, as if he should have known.
    I must have crumpled like a sheet. I found myself in my room lying between my parents. They said nothing, only lay there and wrapped their arms around me, my body bigger than both of theirs. I listened to their breathing, smelled the rose water my mother used on her face, the sharp cologne and sweat my father always smelled of. They covered me with a blanket and went to sleep. I lay there quietly, listening. For a moment, I couldn’t hear the humming of the valley. In the morning we made breakfast together. We sat at the table in silence, unsure of how to be a family of three.

    Campo Elíseo

            traducido por Enrique Aureng Silva

    Supe que mi hermano estaba muerto cuando me llamó justo antes del amanecer y dijo --el paraíso es aburrido, ¿cómo está mamá?    
    Yo había estado despierto toda la noche esperando una llamada. Algo había en la forma en que la oscuridad colgaba a medias, el alumbrado de la calle no dejándola tocar el suelo. Nada especialmente diferente a otras noches. Aún así, yo tenía una sensación distinta.
    --Hace lo mejor que puede --le dije--. Terrible, la verdad.
    --No pudieron verme partir.    
    Mis padres venían en camino a mi casa desde el hospital cuando mi madre recibió la llamada de que la condición de Sal había empeorado súbitamente. Para cuando aceleraron de vuelta cambiando de dirección, su hijo, que había estado vivo hacía una hora, no lo estaba más.    
    --¿Hay algo que puedan hacer por ti? --le pregunté--. ¿Algo que yo pueda hacer?
    El ruido al otro lado de la línea me hacía sentir enfermo, como si fuera el ruido de mi memoria, del hogar y de la nada y de todas las cosas al mismo tiempo.
    --Estoy bien --dijo Sal--. Pero bueno, llamar a casa no es una costumbre por aquí. Mejor te dejo.
    --¿No te puedes quedar un poco más? ¿Hasta que lleguen mamá y papá?
    --No creo --dijo Sal. Su voz era semejante a granos de arena húmeda raspando contra codos cenizos.    
    --Está bueno --dije--. Gracias por avisar.    
    --Vas a estar bien --y colgó.    
    Me quedé en silencio y fijé la mirada sobre la marca oscura del techo de mi cuarto hasta que me dormí.
    El funeral fue un evento pequeño, muchos familiares y algunos amigos. Mi padre sostuvo la mano de mi madre mientras varios grupos de personas se acercaban, lloraban, ofrecían palabras de aliento, oraban. El antepenúltimo jefe de Sal, el encargado de la cafetería, vino y regaló a mis padres una canasta con un arreglo de lilas blancas, orquídeas, lirios del Perú, claveles y una pequeña cruz plateada en medio. Más tarde oí que su esposa lo regañaba calladamente en la mesa del té, diciéndole que mirara alrededor. Mi tía italiana, la que siempre estaba pálida, quien se había casado con el hermano menor de mi madre siete años atrás y nos trataba a Sal y a mí como los hijos que no pudo tener, se vistió de negro y se movía como un espectro enmedio del resto. Este era su primer funeral musulmán y nadie le dijo que el negro no era necesario. La mayoría de los demás vestían colores comúnmente usados para una cena. O para una reunión, que es lo que era aquello: una reunión para celebrar, para llorar.   
    La noche llegó y los invitados fueron dejando la funeraria, primero lentamente y luego todos de golpe. Llevé a mis padres a su casa y me quedé a dormir. Sólo hasta que estuve en mi cama de la infancia, bajo las luces fluorescentes que de la autopista cercana se filtraban por la ventana, fue que pensé por un momento en Sal. No había visto su rostro durante el funeral y no lo volvería a ver. Apreté los dientes y cuando desperté, toda mi mandíbula se sentía como si me hubiera golpeado contra el cemento.    
    Lo enterramos a la mañana siguiente. El frío de noviembre se colaba de a poco y muy pronto se me metió en los huesos. Había una montaña de tierra junto a la tumba y a su lado la excavadora. El imam llegó a las diez. Mi padre se paró junto a mí mientras, con ayuda de otros, colocamos el féretro de madera de roble en el hoyo recién cavado. Olía a tierra fértil y a gusanos llenos de vida. A cada lado de la tumba había una pala con la punta enterrada en el suelo. Tomé una y me sorprendió su peso: era mucho más pesada de lo que había imaginado. Mi madre estaba llorando. No con los largos sollozos de mi tía, sino con el silencioso fluir de las lágrimas que aún en treinta años, le seguirán sorprendiendo. Las manos de mi padre temblaban y entonces odié todo. Sentí una singular desesperanza al ver que él, el único que no debía hacerlo, colapsaba. Me preparé y usando la pala arrojé tierra hacia el féretro de Sal. Lo hice dos veces más antes de que mi padre alcanzara la pala. Después de que él y mi madre arrojaron su parte, el resto de la familia tomó las otras palas e hicieron lo mismo. Cuando todos terminaron, dimos paso a la excavadora para que colocara el resto de la tierra de vuelta a su sitio original. Al terminar, apisonamos el montículo para que tomara una forma más redonda y suave.
    El imam dijo algunas cosas sobre cómo la misericordia de Dios puede dar a la familia en duelo la fuerza para seguir adelante, para apreciar cada segundo que se nos permite vivir, para regresar eventualmente de vuelta al creador. Después dirigió una oración en silencio. Me mantuve quieto, con las manos juntas al frente. Ninguna oración vino a mi mente. El silencio del cementerio me incomodó.
    Regresé al trabajo al día siguiente. Soy pasante en una pequeña editorial, el único trabajo que conseguí después de graduarme el año pasado. Estoy contento de que me alcance para pagar la renta, el internet, el celular, el súper y que aún me queden cien dólares libres. Nunca habría conseguido el departamento sin el aval de mis padres, eso me queda claro. Que pueda visitarlos para comer comida de verdad de vez en cuando me permite ser casi independiente. Esta semana estuve leyendo la pila de manuscritos no solicitados y me perdí algunos minutos leyendo textos que desde el segundo párrafo sabía que no tenían cabida en esta editorial.    
    Logré mantener a los visitantes lejos de mi casa por una semana. Huellas de lágrimas previas cubriendo sus mejillas, listos para decirme todas las cosas buenas que habían oído de Sal por un primo lejano. Debe ser tan perturbador, decían. Lo es, respondía yo, tomando sus regalos y cerrando la puerta. Las visitas cesaron. Mis padres vinieron y me pidieron que viera a un terapeuta y yo les preparé su té favorito de naranja para después pedirles que se marcharan. Dejé de dormir.


    Vi el valle por primera vez después de pasar una semana sin dormir. Abrí la puerta corrediza para salir al balcón a regar las plantas que mi madre había traído durante su última visita --para traer un poco de alegría a esta casa gris, blanca y melancólica. Tenía algo de menta, cilantro, albahaca y también un tomate que decaía rápidamente. Olvidé regarlas con frecuencia, así que esperaba encontrarlas marchitas, sino es que muertas. Sin embargo, abrí la puerta y frente a mí vi un profundo abismo verde. Si daba otro paso, caería en él. Sentí que mis entrañas se reacomodaron demandando a mi garganta que tragara. Mientras más veía el infinito verde, más crecía, devorándome. Dejé la puerta del balcón abierta y fuí a mi cuarto para acostarme, fumar algo de mariguana, escuchar música, poner una película y maltratar mis sentidos hasta que la sobrecarga me dejara hueco y sin cáscara.    
    A la mañana siguiente, justo antes del amanecer, fui de vuelta al balcón y ví que el abismo seguía ahí. Aventé una vieja pluma seca al verde para observar lo que ocurría. Cayó y siguió cayendo hasta que estuvo tan abajo que mis ojos no pudieron ya distinguir su forma. Me senté en el balcón, los pies colgando sobre el borde. Una brisa placentera soplaba desde el verde y me recordó a un fresco día de verano que interrumpiera a varios sofocantes. Algo así como un alivio temporal. Mientras pasaba horas sentado ahí, me fui dando cuenta de que el abismo era algo más que un vacío color verde. Infinito seguro que es, pensé, y dentro de la expansión reconocí formas y movimientos, gradientes de color cambiando a la velocidad del movimiento de las nubes. Me di cuenta que había masa y materia, un mundo sin límites. Los verdes de la menta y los azules del océano, los marrones de la cereza, ricos tonos mostaza y cafés terrosos, el cuerpo entero de ese espacio me recordó al otoño que se aproximaba. Un valle de vida en transición.  
    De ahí en adelante pasé la mayoría del tiempo viendo hacia el valle desde mi balcón, con las piernas colgando pero manteniendo todo mi peso dentro, a la segura. En ocasiones comía mientras miraba hacia afuera. Una semana después, empecé a escuchar el zumbido. Era un sonido agradable, y que reconocía, pero que no sabía ubicar. Sonaba como una voz ahogada en resina que se expandiera a cada nota, tomando la forma de un monolito que me abarcara por completo. Era mejor que oír los sonidos de fondo de la ciudad, pero aún así no podía dormir. Una vez saqué el brazo y sentí en el aire del abismo un movimiento rítmico, como olas golpeándome, arrastrándome poco a poco con cada retirada. Tenía tantas ganas de dejarme caer.    
    En cierto momento supe que Sal estaba allá abajo. Supe que el zumbido era él, su forma de llamarme, pidiéndome que me le uniera. Y yo quería hacerlo, quería hacerlo más que nada en el mundo.
    Mis padres me visitaron sin avisar. Vivían a unas cuantas horas y normalmente no hacían el viaje a la ciudad si yo no los invitaba.
    --No hemos sabido de ti en un largo tiempo --dijo mi papá. Me abrazó con fuerza, está feliz de que aún sea real, pensé.
    No los veía desde su última visita hacía poco más de dos semanas. Mi madre había estado temblando mucho entonces. Ahora no temblaba tanto.
    --Haré sándwiches y té --dije y los dejé pasar.
    Preparé la comida sorprendido de que aún tuviera ingredientes, sin estar seguro de dónde habían salido. Como era su costumbre, mis padres se adueñaron del departamento. Cuando escuché que mi papá comentó lo encerrado que se sentía el ambiente y oí que abría la puerta del balcón, corrí a la sala gritándole que regresara, sabiendo que caería en el valle. Regresó mirándome como había mirado al cuerpo de Sal en el hospital.    
    --Qué pasa --dijo.    
    --¿A dónde fuiste? --le pregunté.
    --Sólo salí a respirar un poco --dijo--. Tu pequeño jardín está perdido.
    --Creo que a Sal le habría gustado que intentaras cultivar algunas plantas --dijo mi madre.
    Cerré la puerta del balcón, la vista al valle entero. Serví los sándwiches y el té. Me quedé con ellos toda la tarde y cuando se fueron me negué a acompañarlos al lobby. No podía dejar el valle. Y tampoco pude evitar que ellos siguieran regresando. En cada ocasión les servía té y ellos hablaban más y más acerca de la muerte de Sal, acerca de que siempre estarían ahí para hablar conmigo, que querían hablar conmigo, que necesitaban hacerlo. Lo único que les pedía era que no salieran al balcón, pero ellos lo hacían una y otra vez, entraban y salían. Hasta bromearon sobre el estado de mi jardín y mencionaron cómo el parque al otro lado de la calle se veía tan lindo en esta época del año, con los colores del otoño en todo su esplendor.    
    Me percaté de que el valle era mío después de un mes sin dormir. Me arrastraba a la sala por las noches, con la puerta del balcón permanentemente abierta, y asomaba la cabeza sobre el borde, mirando hacia abajo a los campos verdes sin vida. Me quedaba quieto y me ponía a pensar sobre Sal. El valle zumbaba con su tono usual. Sentía un escozor en mis ojos insomnes. Sabía que Sal estaba ahí: Sal el inalcanzable, Sal el desafiante, mi pequeño hermano Sal. Sostuve las manos contra mis oídos. El zumbido me golpeó y tuve miedo de respirar, temeroso de quedarme dormido.     Eventualmente mis padres regresaron.    
    --Nos quedaremos hasta que estés listo para hablar --dijeron al unísono.    
    Traté de reclamarles, en verdad lo hice, pero al final dejaron caer sus dos maletas en la sala y se sentaron en el sillón. Pensé que si pudiera dormir, a lo mejor me reiría de cómo parecían un par de niños obstinados negándose a recibir un no como respuesta. Les dejé la cama libre y les dije que dormiría esa noche en el sillón. Cerca de la medianoche, la etérea oscuridad del valle se sintió viva de verdad, una cualidad propia a la carne desesperada por llenarse a sí misma. Me requería con tantas fuerzas que empezó a cubrir las paredes del departamento entero con un brillo esmeralda. Salí de la cama y fui al balcón. Sal zumbaba su canción. El valle se tragaba el cielo. Me paré en el centro y debí caer pero me mantuve ahí esperando a que me jalaran hacia abajo. Fue entonces que noté a mi padre de pie junto a la puerta corrediza, observándome.
    No quería que saliera, no quería que viera el jardín muerto ni el parque al otro lado de la calle ni los bellos tonos otoñales. No quería que viera cómo estaba yo perdiendo mi lugar en el mundo. No vengas, por favor, no vengas. No pude abrir la boca. Salió al balcón.     --No me dí cuenta que tenías un valle aquí --dijo calladamente, como si debiera haberlo sabido.  
    Debí haberme arrugado a la manera de una sábana porque de pronto estaba acostado entre mis padres. No dijeron nada, se quedaron ahí y me abrazaron, sin importar que mi cuerpo fuera más grande que el de ambos. Escuché su respiración, olí el perfume de agua de rosas que mi madre usaba para lavar su cara y la fuerte colonia y el sudor propios al olor de mi padre. Me arroparon y durmieron. Yo me quedé tendido, silencioso, escuchando. Por un momento dejé de oír el zumbido del valle. A la mañana siguiente desayunamos juntos. Nos sentamos a la mesa en silencio, sin saber comportarnos como una familia de tres.